The Book Cover
Mother-Son Quote Of The Week

Mold Misery

Unknown The reports are back and the news is not happy. Why is it that I struggle to keep my house plants alive, but my basement seems to be a veritble greenhouse? As I whined earlier, our basement flooded during Hurricane Irene, though moisture has long been a problem down there. Now the situation can only be described as gross (well also perhaps as "disgusting" and "health hazard"). 

Among the charming residents in the basement are: Strachybotrys, Cladosporium, Hyphae, Pencillium/Aspergillus, along with other Ascopores and Basidiospores. The air quality inspector not only suggests immediate remediation, but also that we contact our family doctor about exposure to these molds.

YUCH! Of course, I would like all this to have been ripped out last week, but it is not so simple, as we are dealing with the insurance company (who basically doesn't cover for flooding or mold, but because of a technicality we might get a little $) and also try getting a mold remediator in the Northeast a few weeks after Irene.

Today's whining will now come to a close. If you hear me sniffling or see me taking Tylenol for a headache, it's just a few related symptoms from exposure.


Diane Blackburn

If that is the condition of your basement, then it needs total drying. You should also clean it as well, as dust serves as the mold’s medium to multiply. If personal efforts still aren’t enough, hire a restoration or mold remediation service as the last resort.

Phoebe Clarke

Well, how did the clean up go? :) Did you know that mold can also be removed by vinegar? Vinegar is 82% mild acid that can kill mold species. One advantage of it is that, it is non-toxic and does not emit dangerous fumes. Just put it in a spray bottle. Spray on parts with mold and let it sit for 1 hour. Then, wipe it clean and let it dry. You don’t have to worry much about the smell; it will be gone after a few hours.

Darryl Iorio

I couldn’t blame you when you really ripped your basement out. Erk. I know that smells horrible and devaluing to the house. Diane’s right, though. Total drying should’ve helped. Then, if money’s easy, installing a waterproofing system should come next. Eliminating the source of water is just the surest way of saying goodbye to them.

Tyrone Nold

You’re right, Phoebe. Vinegar can kill mold. I myself, use it at home because it’s more eco-friendly. Some use hard bleach product to easily sanitize or disinfect the mold, since it contains powerful oxidizer. However, fumes emitted by the corrosive chemical are very harmful to our lungs.

Verify your Comment

Previewing your Comment

This is only a preview. Your comment has not yet been posted.

Your comment could not be posted. Error type:
Your comment has been posted. Post another comment

The letters and numbers you entered did not match the image. Please try again.

As a final step before posting your comment, enter the letters and numbers you see in the image below. This prevents automated programs from posting comments.

Having trouble reading this image? View an alternate.


Post a comment

Your Information

(Name and email address are required. Email address will not be displayed with the comment.)